Spring Break

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Hey guys!

I just got home from Spring Break on Sunday and I wanted to share it with you all! My boyfriend and I decided we wanted to take a road trip to Canada. I had never been out of the country before so I was very excited! Along the way we stopped at some amazing sights. I included some photos from my favorite stops!

My first favorite was a State Park in Virginia. They had wild ponies there! You couldn't touch them or feed them, but they loved coming up really close to us. You can see the photo of my boyfriend photographing the ginger pony, which was his favorite. My next favorite stop was at Cucumber Falls in Pennsylvania. The waterfall was covered in ice! We were able to climb all around it, and it was gorgeous. My last favorite stop was in Canada! Unfortunately, my camera was not working while we were there, but it was gorgeous! We used Airbnb to get a house in walking distance from Niagara Falls. Canada was also having a snowstorm while we were there. We only stayed one night and got almost 3ft of snow.  It was also hard to see Niagara Falls because there were white out conditions, but I still loved it. 

The way we camped was by borrowing his parents Expedition. We knew it was going to be cold on the trip and didn't want to camp in the cold, so the car provided us with enough room to actually put a mattress in the back. It was extremely comfortable. We made a chart and each night found free or cheap places to camp. In Pennsylvania, we knew the snowstorm was supposed to start, so we got an impromptu hotel room and stayed up watching The Bachelor finale.  

For food, we prepared before we left. Both he and I are gluten free for medical reasons, so we had to find mostly nonperishable foods that accommodated that. For breakfast I usually had a larabar. Sometimes I would also stop and get coffee. For lunch, we brought a variety of gluten free bread and a cooler with sandwich meat and mayo. Once we ran out of that we made PB&J sandwiches. For dinner, we would use his camping gear and cook things like oatmeal, mashed potatoes, or prepackaged meals. We also made a couple of stops at Waffle House. 

A couple of mishaps happened on the trip. The first that happened the check engine light started flashing while I was driving. We took it to a car care place and they informed us that the third engine coil had broken and had to be changed immediately before we could continue driving. It was late at night and we were in an unfamiliar place. Our solution was to watch a YouTube video on how to replace the part. After about 2 hours we finally had it fixed! 

The next mishap was while driving up a very steep incline where the road was not salted and there was a thick layer of ice and snow, the four wheel drive decided not to engage. We had another car behind us and our car started sliding backwards. We ended up having to break down backwards and let them pass. After that, we were able to play with the four wheel drive and get it working. 

It was such an incredible trip and I will definitely be revisiting a lot of these places!

4 comments:

  1. That's so cool that the ponies walk right up to you! Also, that's too bad about the weather - it's not normally that snowy here in March!

    Erin // Plaid & Pearls 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it! And honestly the snow just made it more interesting!

      Delete

CopyRight © Pretty as a Peony