How to Eat Healthy in College

Thursday, April 13, 2017


This is something people really struggle with when they start college. A lot of people are living on their own for the first time and there are so many cheap fast food options. I follow pretty closely something called the paleo diet. It's not really a diet, but more of a way of eating. I also love dairy free options because dairy tends to cause a lot of bloating. After a LOT of trial and error, I have found some easy and affordable options to share with you!

Fast Food
When eating fast food there are a couple things I always look for. I look for either their grilled options or their salads. I also always skip the side of fries. When I order my drink I usually get water(best option!) or coffee(what I actually get). I also always avoid bread and breaded things.  An easy trick if you order a sandwich or burger is to just take the bun off.

Chick-fil-a is my favorite because of their grilled chicken nuggets and kale side salad. Another fast option is Smoothie King. They have so many different options, it is easy to find one you like that is also healthy.

Snacking
I love snacking! The trick is balance and making healthy choices. Fruit is such a good option. Depending upon the season, you can find them in grocery stores pretty cheap. I also love Larabars! They are sooo good and have tons of different flavors. Skinny Pop popcorn bags make a really easy snack and a good substitute for potato chips. Cottage cheese is a really healthy snack as well.

I avoid potato chips and Starbucks drinks. I love coffee, but theirs are usually so bad for you that I only drink them on occasion. If I do get Starbucks I choose either the almond milk or soy milk options.

Meals
I eat a variety of different things for breakfast, lunch. and dinner. Yogurt and fruit with coffee is usually what I have for breakfast. I also love eggs, so I occasionally have egg whites with feta cheese. SO Delicious actually makes a really good dairy free yogurt. 

For lunch and dinner it is good to always have a side of some sort of vegetable. Another good side is also sweet potato fries. Those taste amazing with feta melted on them.

I stick away from rice and pasta. A good substitute for those is zucchini pasta. It is super easy to make and (in my opinion) tastes way better. Large sweet potatoes make an awesome lunch or dinner. I cook them in the microwave for 20 minutes (it sounds silly) and they taste amazing! Chicken is a really good choice too. There are so many different recipes out there on how to cook it, but my favorites are: Asian chicken and chicken asparagus stirfry. I also love recipes with shrimp. 

 Cheats
With all of this being said, I love desserts. It is just important to remember everything in moderation. My favorite deserts are macaroons, dark chocolate, and salted caramel ice cream. I only have these things on occasion.

I hope this helped you, let me know in the comments what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © Pretty as a Peony